- ANC Infrastructure Construction:
- The rehabilitation of the terminal loop road is coming along nicely, and the traffic pattern returns to its usual route the Friday before Memorial Day weekend. Taxis and shuttles will return to the lower commercial curb June 4. Construction on the loop will be ongoing through the summer with intermittent lane closures. Please follow posted signage and mind the flaggers. The much-needed upgrades include storm drain improvements, asphalt resurfacing and signage improvements. We appreciate your patience and thank you for driving slowly to keep the construction workers and travelers safe.
- An overview of ANC construction projects can be found online at https://dot.alaska.gov/anc/documents/2022-ANC-Projects.pdf
- Cell Phone Parking Lot:
Gas prices these days… aren’t they irritatingly high? One way to cut down on your fuel consumption would be to utilize ANC’s lovely, FREE cell phone parking lot instead of circling through the construction on the terminal loop road. The cellphone lot is conjoined with the DOT&PF Central Region Headquarters (the Upside-down building) parking lot – minutes away from ANC (did we mention it is FREE?). Click HERE for directions. Additionally, parking in the garage is free for the first 30 minutes. Parked or idling vehicles at the curb present safety issues and traffic congestion. Only vehicles conducting active loading/unloading should be at the curb.
- Well Survey:
ANC is working with the environmental consultant agency Shannon & Wilson, Inc., and the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) to identify water supply wells near ANC. Shannon & Wilson is mailing out surveys to property owners or tenants with homes or businesses located within the well search area. the effort is underway to identify and document if Pre- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) are present and mitigate the risk to human health. The survey packet can also be found online at https://dot.alaska.gov/airportwater/anchorage/.
- Animal Safety:
With moose calves arriving and the bears now out and about, ANC would like to remind recreationists to keep your eyes and ears open to hopefully avoid encounters. Wild animals are greatly protective of their young and will not hesitate to go on the offensive. Please give any animal a wide berth.
- Lake Hood Seaplane Base:
Lake Hood is the world’s largest sea plane base, which means we have a plethora of small aircraft activity. Whether you are driving in a car, riding a bicycle, or pounding the pavement by foot, remember that all aircraft always have the right-of-way on the roadways, which in many places also double as taxiways. NO PEOPLE OR PETS ARE ALLOWED on lake surfaces and all pets must be on a leash, this is for everyone’s safety.
- Airport Recruitment:
Are you looking for employment? There are jobs at the airport! ANC and surrounding businesses are hiring and would like you to consider applying. Potential employers, in addition to state of Alaska positions, can be found at JoinANC.com or through Local 71 at the following web addresses:local71.com/jobs. Click HERE to view recruitment videos.
- Does your destination require masks, a COVID test, or proof of vaccination?
Travelers destined for locations that require proof of a negative test or a vaccination certificate must have their documentation with them prior to arriving at ANC. Boarding decisions are made by the individual airlines, not ANC. There is not a public testing site in the terminal. To find testing locations, visit https://anchoragecovidtest.org/.
- Masks Optional:
In late April, The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) announced the expiration of Security Directive 1542-21-01: Security Measures Face Mask Requirements. The federal mask mandate is no longer in effect. Travelers should check with their carriers and their destination prior to travel to determine what, if any, requirements exist for masks.
- Sign up for GovDelivery:
For those that want to receive important public notices right in their email inbox are encouraged to sign up at service.govdelivery.com/accounts/AKDOT/subscriber/new. The official public notice website for the state of Alaska is located at Welcome – Alaska Online Public Notices (state.ak.us).
- Questions/Concerns/Comments: We want to hear from you! – Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport (ancairport.com) When you use the online portal, it helps us more efficiently field your message and get the right person to provide a response, if applicable.
- Contact for ANC Monthly Updates:
ANC does its best to provide information that will be useful and meaningful to our neighbors. Updates are prepared by Megan A. Peters, ANC Communications Coordinator. Ms. Peters can be emailed at firstname.lastname@example.org.